Sunday 13 October 2013

Interview with Narain Ishaya

With Lincoln coming up in a few weeks, we have an interview with one of the authors who will be there.  Many thanks to him for answering our questions. Narain Ishaya is a teacher of meditation and spirituality and is the author of "Chit Happens: A Guide to Discovering Divinity".  Narain will be giving a talk about his book on sunday 3rd November and can be found online at www.narainishaya.com

Could you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I am an Ishaya monk, and have been for 15 years or so. I was born in England, and grew up in Australia. I had a pretty varied life, but there was always something “missing.” I always had a feeling I was waiting for God, or the Universe, or life to show me what I was really here for. I tried so many spiritual practices, but nothing really filled the hole within me. Then I found the Ishayas, and learned their practice of Ascension. Immediately I knew this path was different, that it really could help me, and anyone else, live their purpose fully in this lifetime.

Can you give us an overview of your book?

The book is intended to give a clear look at the path of awakening from ignorance, and what the magical state called “enlightenment” really is. It also shows, I hope, what really keeps people limited and small, and how to let those things go. The intention was to make the journey to freedom clear, no matter what path or practice you have. It is also a look at the teaching of the Ishaya’s teaching of Ascension, also known as The Bright Path. It is a Teaching that has been maintained for thousands of years for this moment in humanities evolution.


Why do you think there is such a strong need for spiritual guidance these days?

True spiritual guidance has always been necessary, but now it is time for this to be publicly available. The consciousness of humanity has, for eons, been working its way through the mud of ignorance towards the light of Truth. In so many ways people are beginning to come to the realization that, “There must be more than this!” The old control structures that have been in place are no longer attractive, and so other guidance is needed. To awaken fully from the dream of separation is not hard, but guidance is necessary.

Do you have any more books planned?

There are more books coming. I have almost finished the second one, which is very different in it’s layout to this one.

Which writer/thinker has influenced you the most?

It depends on why you ask. At different times on my path different things spoke to me for different reasons. Let’s see, Jesus, and Terry Pratchett would be close to the top two.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given?

Hold no positions. That simple sentence has meant so much on my journey. The path of awakening is very much the path of surrendering positions and judgments. The mind always wants to understand freedom, and it cannot. It will try to by noticing an experience and then saying, “Now I get it!” This statement is always false. The most accurate thing you can ever say is, “This is the way it appears to be,” and then let it go. Positions are an attempt to be right, and you will never be right AND free in the same instant. Hold no positions, be open, like air, and discover peace.

Would you name 6 “Desert Island” books or films (ones you would like if you were stranded on a desert island - for young ones who don’t know about Desert Island discs!)

Books:

Anything by Terry Pratchett, especially The Thief of Time.

The power of Now by Eckhardt Tolle.

The eye of the I by Dr. David Hawkins

Films:

The Matrix.

The legend of Bagger Vance.

The Princess Bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment